I was thinking to myself, “How can I give folks an idea of who I am?”. So, I came up with the idea of looking at my blog subscriptions and putting together a list of my Top 5 Must Read Before I Can Start Work blogs! These are the ones that I just cannot ignore! Maybe these will tell you something about me?
- The Pioneer Woman – Ree Drummond: She is awesome! Seriously, if you’ve never been to her blog, go… right now… but in a new browser window so you can come back to me! I came across her site about 2 years ago when I was searching on Google for some obscure cattle issue that I can’t even recall now. I saw her site and was astounded. Here was this city girl (like me) who married a cowboy (like my husband) and was raising beef cattle (like us). She cooks real food. She home schools her kids. She is a talented photographer. She’s published two books. Simply amazing. Plus she has a reference to Lucille Ball in her About Me on the front page – I think that may be what really won me over!
- NieNie Dialogues – Stephanie Nielson: I first heard about Stephanie on a blog that was hosting a fund-raiser for her. She and her husband had been in a devastating small-engine aircraft crash. Stephanie was fighting for her life in a burn center in Arizona. I went over to her blog to read about who this unfortunate person was. Her site was simply magical. There is just no other word for it. Magical. The world that she had created for her husband and children was my idea of perfection. While she lay sleeping in her hospital bed, her sister Courtney took up the reins of NieNie Dialogues and valiantly continued on until Stephanie was well enough to rejoin us. Her journey is one of strength and faith. I read it because, honestly, she makes me feel hopeful for what the future may bring. I admire her courage.
- the mom – Ruth Schultz: I love Ruth! She’s witty and real. She has four gorgeous children and her husband is the mastermind behind my youngest child’s favorite show, Yo Gabba Gabba! I would love to spend a day with them! They have had some health challenges with their youngest child and have met them head-on with an incredible can-do attitude. They’re what we call “good folks” out here in Hoosier-ville!
- zenhabits – Leo Babauta: One word: simplify. To me, that sums up Leo’s blog. The simplistic style of his blog is so refreshing. I have always struggled with organization. I find it difficult to let go of physical objects because of the memories attached to them. Reading Leo’s observations has helped me see that less is truly more.
- Almighty Dad – Keith Wilcox: This guy is great! He’s a stay-at-home dad who home schools his two boys. I love reading about their alternative-style learning adventures. I’d wager that these two kids are getting a better education than most kids in a traditional school system. In addition to his writing about home education, Keith also mixes in some great witty insights about everyday life. He’s a breath of fresh air.
Looking at this list, I see that it’s quite an eclectic mix of interests. That actually sums me up fairly well. I’m a city girl who moved to the country. I married a cowboy who is the love of my life. We have two beautiful girls who are just as comfortable in Carhart’s and work boots as they are in the latest fashions from Justice for Girls! I work in the city as a software developer and come home to a fully functional cattle ranch. We live a simple life filled with lots of love and lots of animals! But, most importantly, my husband and I are committed to the growth and development of the most important crop on this ranch – our girls.